The bridge is located at km 87.487 on Extension Montemor (Torre da Gadanha – Montemor), having been inaugurated on 02/09/1909. It was built by the construction company Cardoso D’Argent. Its main characteristics are: two metal spans a total of 101.3 meters, with a kind of structure in the upper tray of the type of beams de rótulas de St. André (don´t know how to translate).
The Extension united the Station of Torre da Gadanha, in Alentejo Line, to the city of Montemor-o-Novo, a total distance of 12.8 km. The largest infrastructure in the extension was the Almansor Bridge, crossing the river with the same name near the station Montemor-o-Novo.
The funding for the construction of this railway was obtained by the City of Montemor-o-Novo, under a decree of June 12, 1907, that amounted to 170,000$000.
In 1970, this was one of the links over which the Portuguese Railways conducted studies due to the low traffic. The goal of these studies was to decide whether the maintenance of trains was justifiable. The branch line was closed in 1989.
In May 2005, the rails and ballast had been removed, and vegetation had partially invaded the old route. Still, the buildings Apeadeiro of Paião and Stations Montemor-o-Novo and Torre da Gadanha remained in good condition, at that time. Because of that, there was a project to convert the old railway extension into Cyclopiste linking Montemor-o-Novo and Torre da Gadanha.